Skip to main content

Book Review: The Darkest Part of the Forest

 

I received The Darkest Part of the Forest by Holly Black for my birthday in 2019. Since it’s been sitting on my shelf for some time and I’m generally a fan of Holly Black’s work, I decided it was going to be my weekend read a while back. Suffice to say, it didn’t wind up being that and I have very mixed feelings about this book.

Rating: 3/5

Buy The Darkest Part of the Forest.

Cover Blurb: 

"Hazel and her brother, Ben, live in Fairfold, where humans and the Folk exist side by side. Since they were children, Hazel and Ben have been telling each other stories about the boy in the glass coffin: that he is a prince and they are valiant knights. But as Hazel grows up, she puts aside those stories. Hazel knows the horned boy will never wake. 

Until one day, he does ....

Set in the same world as the bestselling Folk of the Air series (The Cruel Prince, The Wicked King, and The Queen of Nothing), The Darkest Part of the Forest is Holly Black's triumphant return to the opulent, enchanting faerie tales that launched her career."


Review:

This book has been immensely difficult to review for so many reasons, but its scheduled publication date has been creeping closer for several weeks, so here we are. All reviews have to start somewhere, so I’ll start this one at the beginning, or, rather, with the first two thirds of the novel.

The first half of this book (plus some) absolutely crawled by for me and I almost DNFed this book several times. But I really, really don’t like giving up on a book unless there’s a plot hole the size of Crater Lake forming, the plot has been derailed, or I am certain that the direction the story is heading in just isn't for me, so I carried on.

There’s a lot of backstory in this book and there are a lot of flashbacks. The first two thirds of this novel could have been condensed down to about thirty pages (Maybe a bit more, if we're being generous …), but it wasn’t. And, by consequence, I found myself continuously checking to see if I was over halfway done, yet.

Now, the funny thing is that all of that backstory and all of those flashbacks did absolutely nothing to help me connect to the characters. I couldn’t relate to the main characters in this book at all. Hazel made decisions I couldn’t understand and kept secrets that would have made the book more interesting if they’d been shared early on. She also spent half of her time on the page talking about kissing boys, only to later shame herself and complain about having done so. There was something of a romance arc tucked into her story line, but I honestly think this book would have been stronger without that because it never felt relevant. Ben also seemed to have only two personality traits: his obsession with love and being generally mopey. His romance arc was also, basically, insta-love; and while there’s another reason I didn’t like his romance arc, that contains more significant spoilers, so I’m not going to cover that here. I have individual problems with all the characters, but on an overarching level, I think the key issue was that they were all quite one-dimensional and wooden; the story suffered immensely because of that.

Last on my list of complaints is an aspect that is more personal preference than anything else. I hated how everyone in this book seemed to view the horned boy in the glass coffin as an object. People make up stories about him like he's a doll, which is either uncomfortably weird if he's asleep or rather disturbing if he's dead. And both Ben and Hazel treated him like a possession—referring to him as theirs on multiple occasions. This behavior is never addressed and it left a rather bad taste in my mouth. I didn’t dock stars for it, but I definitely didn't like it and it made me dislike all of the associated characters even more than I otherwise would have.

All that said, after a certain point in the book, there’s an atmospheric shift. The plot goes from dragging itself along at a snail’s pace, to developing tension and engaging with the fae on a deeper level. If you were wondering why I gave a book that I’ve done nothing but complain about a 3-star rating, well … this is it.

In short, the ending of The Darkest Part of the Forest made the book worth reading. I blasted through the last third of this book in an hour after spending several weeks trying to push through the first two thirds. And, in the end, I was relatively satisfied with how the story resolved itself. It became more action-packed, the writing was tighter, and it felt altogether more fantastical.

So, there you go. I didn’t love all of it and I didn’t hate all of it, which somehow winds up looking a bit as though I generally liked it, when I can’t really claim to have done either.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review: Night Sky with Exit Wounds

A few days ago, I picked up a copy of  Night Sky with Exit Wounds  by Ocean Vuong. This time, rather than ordering a physical copy, I got an e-book copy because I was disinclined to wait for shipping and I thought I might get around to it faster. Given I started it the minute I put it on my e-reader and finished it within two days, I'd say that decision paid off. It was my third read of 2022 and arguably my favorite, thus far. (This review revision was completed April 15, 2023.) Rating:    4 /5 Buy Night Sky With Exit Wounds Here . Cover Blurb:  " In his haunting and fearless debut, Ocean Vuong walks a tightrope of historic and personal violences, creating an interrogation of the American body as a borderless space of both failure and triumph. At once vulnerable and redemptive, dreamlike and visceral, compassionate and unforgiving, these poems seek a myriad existence without forgetting the prerequisite of self-preservation in a world bent on extinguishing its othered voices. V

Book Review: Seventh Born

  Several years ago, I spent a not-insignificant amount of time on a site called Wattpad . And that site, as you may have surmised, is where I found Seventh Born  by Monica Sanz. I had read only the first few chapters before this book was pulled down for publishing through Entangled Teen . Rather intrigued by what I'd already read, I bought a copy as soon as it became available. And then it sat on my shelf for the next few years, undisturbed and gathering dust as all TBR books are destined to do ... Rating: 2.5/5 Buy Seventh Born here . Blurb from Amazon: "Abomination. Curse. Murderer. All names hurled at eighteen-year-old Seraphina Dovetail. As the seventh-born daughter to a witch, she's the cause of her mother losing her powers and, in turn, her life. Abandoned as a child, Sera dreams of becoming an inspector and finding her family. To do that, she must be referred into the Advanced Studies Program at the Aetherium's Witchling Academy. Her birth order, quick temper,

Book Review: Shiver

  Shiver  by Maggie Stiefvater was my attempted fourth read of the year. I've read The Raven Boys  and wanted to read something else from Stiefvater, so  Shiver  it was. This did not wind up being the right book for me.  This review was updated May 15th, 2023. Rating:    DNF Buy Shiver. Blurb from Amazon:  " For years, Grace has watched the wolves in the woods behind her house. One yellow-eyed wolf--her wolf--is a chilling presence she can't seem to live without. Meanwhile, Sam has lived two lives: In winter, the frozen woods, the protection of the pack, and the silent company of a fearless girl. In summer, a few precious months of being human . . . until the cold makes him shift back again. Now, Grace meets a yellow-eyed boy whose familiarity takes her breath away. It's her wolf. It has to be. But as winter nears, Sam must fight to stay human--or risk losing himself, and Grace, forever. " Review:  I had really hoped to enjoy this book, but my feelings about it ar